Thursday 1 October 2015

The Fruits & Flowers of an Indian Summer.

John Keats described this time of year as the "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness".
This year we have also been blessed with an 'Indian Summer'

In Our Garden@19 the Crab Apple 'Golden Hornet' is covered with fruit..


...the Pear 'Invincible' has not been as prolific as in previous years.


The Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple' is brightening up some of the more shady areas of the garden...


...leaving the Dahlias to strut their stuff in the sunshine.

D. Bishop of Llandaff

D. Thomas A. Edison
...along with the Cannas


One of the stalwarts of the autumn garden are the Asters, who have now undergone name reclassification, I think I will just call them 'Michaelmas Daisies'

This, I think is one of the best, Aster 'Little Carlow'...


...with A. 'Harringtons Pink' just coming into bloom.


No Autumn garden should be without Verbena bonariensis.


The annuals that I planted for summer/autumn are just beginning to bloom, this is Cobaea scandens, the cup and saucer plant, draped in fine cobwebs...


...with a Nasturtium from last years saved seed...


...and N. 'Black Velvet'...


...Convolvulus Major, Trumpet Mix is flowering in several different positions around the garden.
What I like about growing this plant is if someone mentions you have Bindweed in your garden you can reply, "No its Convolvulus" 


The other annual climber is Ipomea lobata, Spanish Flag.


Viola 'Heartsease always has a place in Our Garden@19


We finish with a true flower of autumn the Cyclamen hederifolium.


What fruits and flowers have you been enjoying in your garden during this 'Indian Summer'?


Please click on any picture to create a slide show.

12 comments:

  1. Your asters are lovely, regardless of classification ;-) Heartsease always makes me happy; I should be able to add some here in a month or so. And it's always wonderful to see fruit in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I think gardeners will be calling them Asters for many years to come. The pear is good to eat as well.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had flowers like yours in my garden. My flowers peak in midsummer and that's it apart from some Verbena bonariensis waving above the dying foliage. Now thinking that maybe I should try some dahlias next year.
    Our apples are prolific this year but the pears have been a disappointment; that's always the way though as we get one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias are good value this time of year Anne. They are not to much trouble to grow, I rotate them with tulips, the one is in the greenhouse while the other is in the garden.

      Delete
  3. What a lot of colour you have there, and the photos are stunning! I particularly like the combination you have of the canna and dahlia. I'm well impressed with your crop of crab apples. Good retort about the bindweed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the Golden Hornet always has a good crop of crab apples its only draw back is the birds don't eat them unless the weather is very cold, they then turn brown.

      Delete
  4. Aster 'Little Carlow' is lovely. I've been shifting self seeded Verbena bonariensis around the garden today. So far it seems to be taking even though I haven't shortened any of the stems. You can't ask for more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bonus to have self seeders of VB, they are usually in the wrong place though!

      Delete
  5. Your Golden Hornet looks fantastic Brian and mine will take some catching up although at least I know what to aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inspiration came firstly from Rosemary Verey and then Highgrove Cathy!

      Delete
  6. Lovely fruit and flowers Brian. I have Aster ' Little Carlow' it is a little gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloris, it is I think one of the best Asters you can grow.

      Delete

To select a comment profile please click on 'Comment as'.You don't need a blog to comment select Name/URL and enter your name. All comments are welcome, they are however modulated for spam.